Renting a pressure washer is a great option for tackling outdoor cleaning projects without having to purchase your own equipment. Pressure washers use high-powered water jets to remove dirt, grime, mold, mildew and other buildup from surfaces like siding, decks, driveways and more. Rental costs vary based on the size and power of the washer, how long you need it for, and whether you rent from a big box store, equipment rental company or local tool rental shop. Here’s a comprehensive look at what goes into pressure washer rental costs so you can make the best decision for your cleaning needs and budget.
Factors That Impact Pressure Washer Rental Costs
Several key factors determine how much you’ll pay to rent a pressure washer:
- Power/Pressure Rating – Expressed in pounds per square inch (PSI), this measures the force of the water jet. Standard electric washers run 1300-1800 PSI while gas-powered models reach 2000-3000 PSI for heavy duty cleaning. Higher PSI comes with higher rental fees.
- Water Volume – This is the amount of water the pressure washer outputs per minute (GPM). Most rentals are 1.5-2.5 GPM. Higher GPM means faster cleaning.
- Engine Type – Gas engines offer more power and mobility while electric units are usually less expensive and better for smaller jobs.
- Portability – Cart or wheel mounted units cost a bit more than stationary models but are easier to maneuver.
- Accessories – Add-ons like turbo wands, surface cleaners and longer hoses come with additional fees.
- Rental Duration – Daily and weekly rates are less costly overall than renting by the hour.
- Rental Company/Location – Big box home centers, local tool rental shops and equipment rental companies have varying price structures.
Once you determine the specific pressure washer features you need, it’s time to start comparing rental costs.
Pressure Washer Rental Cost Comparison
To give you a better idea of typical pricing, here’s an overview of what major national chains, local suppliers and equipment rental companies charge for pressure washer rentals.
Home Improvement Center Rental Costs
Popular big box home improvement stores like Home Depot and Lowes offer pressure washer rentals at very reasonable rates. Here are some sample prices:
- Home Depot – Electric 1300 PSI washer, $29 daily, $59 for 4 hours, up to $89 weekly
- Lowes – Gas 2800 PSI washer, $49 daily, $75 for 4 hours, $99 weekly
Home center daily and weekly rental fees generally cover up to 8 hours of use. Hourly rentals allow 4 hours. Rates may be slightly higher during peak seasons.
Local Tool Rental Shop Pricing
For greater selection and flexibility, look to local tool rental companies. Pricing is very competitive with big box stores. Here are some typical costs:
- Daily rental of 1800 PSI electric power washer – $35-$50
- Weekly rental of 2800 PSI gas pressure washer – $115-$150
- Hourly rental rates starting around $25/hour
Tool rental shops offer delivery options and some allow you to keep the equipment overnight for multiple day rentals.
Equipment Rental Company Costs
Larger equipment rental firms like United Rentals have higher end, commercial-grade pressure washers along with daily, weekly and monthly rates.
- Electric hot water pressure washer rental – $88 per day
- Gas powered 4000 PSI unit rental – $164 per day
- 1 week rental of a skid or trailer mounted washer – $450-$700
These pro-quality washers deliver added power for heavy duty cleaning tasks. Long term rentals can save on costs.
How Rental Duration Affects Price
In most cases, the longer you rent a pressure washer for, the less you’ll pay per day. Here are some exampleprice differences for a typical 1800 PSI electric washer:
- 4 hour rental – $80
- Daily rate – $50 (save $30 over 4 hours)
- Weekly rate – $200 (save $70 over daily)
- Monthly rate – $500 (save $350 over weekly)
Evaluate how long you’ll need the equipment. Longer rentals often provide the best value.
Other Pressure Washer Rental Cost Considerations
Here are some other things to keep in mind when budgeting for a pressure washer rental:
- Extra days or exceeding allotted hours on longer rentals incur added fees
- Fuel and electricity costs may or may not be included
- Delivery/pickup charges apply through some rental companies
- Insurance waivers protect against theft, damage and liability for an added fee
- Sales tax applies to all rental fees
Carefully review all terms and conditions to avoid surprise charges. Inspect equipment before taking and report any prior damage. Renting during off-peak times can also sometimes yield savings.
Tips for Getting the Best Rental Rates
Follow these tips to keep your rental costs down:
- Opt for electric – Electric motors provide suitable washing power for residential needs at a lower price point
- Take inventory of tasks/needs – Don’t overspend by renting more pressure or flow than your cleaning tasks call for
- Rent midweek – Avoid weekends and holidays when demand surges
- Reserve early – Give yourself lots of lead time to get better rates
- Prepay – Some rental companies offer discounts for paying rental fees up front
- Check for coupons – Retailers often run promotional discounts on rentals
Carefully calculating your pressure washing requirements and shopping around for deals can help minimize the costs of tackling those filthy outdoor messes.
Pressure Washer Rental Cost Estimates
To recap, here are some ballpark figures for daily pressure washer rental fees:
- Electric unit – 1300-1800 PSI, 1.5 GPM = $35-$50
- Gas-powered unit – 2800-3000 PSI, 2-2.5 GPM = $65-$95
- Commercial unit – 4000 PSI, 4 GPM = $175-$250
Increase each estimate by 20-50% for weekly rentals. Expect possible fuel/electricity charges or mileage fees not reflected here.
While buying isn’t always practical for one-off jobs, purchasing a homeowner-grade electric pressure washer can pay for itself after just 3-5 typical weekend equipment rentals.
How Much Does A Pressure Washer Use Per Hour?
When considering the cost of using a pressure washer per hour, it’s essential to factor in both the rental fee and the associated electricity or fuel costs. On average, an electric pressure washer may consume around 1.5 to 2 kilowatt-hours per hour, costing approximately $0.20 to $0.30. Gas pressure washers tend to use more fuel, averaging 0.2 to 0.8 gallons per hour, with fuel costs ranging from $0.80 to $2.50 per hour.
How Much Do Pressure Washers Charge?
Pressure washer rental providers typically structure their charges based on the type of pressure washer and the duration of rental. Electric pressure washers may charge $10 to $20 per hour, while gas pressure washers can range from $15 to $30 per hour. Daily rates generally fall between $40 and $80, with weekly rentals costing $150 to $300.
How Much Should I Spend On A Pressure Washer?
Determining how much to spend on a pressure washer involves assessing your cleaning needs and frequency of use. For occasional use on smaller projects, an electric pressure washer in the $100 to $200 range may suffice. If you require more power and versatility for frequent or larger tasks, investing in a gas pressure washer ranging from $300 to $600 could be a wise choice.
Renting A Pressure Washer vs. Professional Pressure Washing Service: Making the Right Choice
When it comes to revitalizing surfaces through pressure washing, you face a common dilemma: should you opt for the DIY approach by renting a pressure washer or enlist the services of a professional pressure washing service? Let’s explore the factors that can help you make an informed decision.
Renting A Pressure Washer: Cost-Effective Flexibility
Renting a pressure washer puts the control in your hands, offering a cost-effective solution for various cleaning projects. Here are some key considerations:
1. Cost Comparison:
Renting a pressure washer is generally more budget-friendly than hiring a professional service. With rental rates ranging from $40 to $300 per day or week, you can tackle multiple projects without a hefty investment.
Renting provides the flexibility to choose the type of pressure washer that suits your specific needs. Whether it’s an electric model for lighter tasks or a gas-powered one for heavy-duty cleaning, you have the freedom to select the right tool for the job.
3. DIY Experience:
If you enjoy taking on DIY projects and have the time and energy to invest, renting a pressure washer can be a rewarding experience. It allows you to personally control the cleaning process and take pride in the results.
Professional Pressure Washing Service: Efficiency and Expertise
While renting a pressure washer has its advantages, professional pressure washing services offer a level of efficiency and expertise that may be worth considering.
Professional services can complete the job quickly and efficiently, saving you valuable time. If you have a hectic schedule or large cleaning projects, outsourcing the work might be a practical choice.
2. Expertise and Equipment:
Experienced professionals bring not only their skills but also high-quality equipment to the table. They understand the intricacies of different surfaces and can tailor their approach to deliver optimal results without causing damage.
Handling a pressure washer requires caution, and professionals are trained to ensure safety during the cleaning process. They are equipped to handle challenging tasks while minimizing risks.
Making the Decision
Ultimately, the choice between renting a pressure washer and hiring a professional service depends on your priorities, preferences, and the nature of the cleaning task. Consider the following factors:
- Budget: If cost is a primary concern and you enjoy DIY projects, renting a pressure washer is a cost-effective choice.
- Time: If you have a time-sensitive project or a busy schedule, a professional service can save you time and effort.
- Expertise: For complex or delicate cleaning tasks, professionals bring the necessary expertise and equipment to achieve superior results.
In the showdown between renting a pressure washer and hiring professionals, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Assess your cleaning needs, budget constraints, and the time you can dedicate to the task. Whether you opt for the hands-on approach of renting a pressure washer or the efficiency of a professional service, the key is to make a decision that aligns with your goals and ensures a rejuvenated and gleaming finish to your surfaces.
If you’re opting for a professional pressure washing service around North and Central Georgia, contact Sullins Suds Pressure Washing today!