Pressure washing, also known as power washing, is a popular cleaning method used by commercial establishments to maintain exterior surfaces. As business owners, we know that first impressions matter. Keeping the exterior of your commercial property clean with professional pressure washing services enhances curb appeal and demonstrates that you care about your business.
But how much does it actually cost to pressure wash commercial buildings and properties? Prices can vary greatly depending on several key factors. In this comprehensive guide, we will break down the average costs, pricing models, and considerations to help you budget for commercial pressure washing services.
What Is Commercial Pressure Washing?
Commercial pressure washing utilizes specialized power washers that discharge water at high pressure to effectively clean exterior surfaces. The intense water pressure helps remove dirt, grime, mold, mildew stains, oil stains, rust stains, and other tough buildup. It is far more effective than conventional cleaning methods.
Commercial pressure washers use hot or cold water, and often add a cleaning solution as well. The pressure levels typically range from 1500 to 4000 PSI. Commercial grade power washers heat the water up to 210°F to help lift stains. The hot water and high pressure combine to sanitize surfaces and restore them to like-new condition.
Commercial pressure washing can be used on all kinds of exterior surfaces including:
- Storefronts, building facades
- Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways
- Loading docks
- Dumpster areas
- Outdoor eating/smoking areas
- Signs, awnings, lighting
- Painted/unpainted wood, brick, concrete, metal
It deep cleans surfaces to enhance curb appeal, brand image for customers, and to preserve building infrastructure.
What Does Commercial Pressure Washing Cost on Average?
Commercial pressure washing services typically charge by the square footage washed. National averages range between $0.10–0.40 per square foot. However, commercial pressure washing prices can also be estimated at $120 to $250 per hour depending on your area.
Here are the average costs for commercial power washing:
- Storefronts/Small Commercial Buildings – $200 – $400
- Office Buildings (3 stories) – $400 – $1200
- Shopping Centers (strip malls) – $600 – $1500
- Restaurants – $300 – $800
- Hotels (2–5 stories) – $1500 – $3000
- Apartment Complexes – $1000+
- Warehouse Facilities – $800+
- Manufacturing Plants – $1500+
- Grocery Stores – $700 – $1200
- Parking Garages – $0.20 – $0.35 per sq. foot
To get an accurate estimate, commercial pressure washing companies determine pricing based on:
- Total square footage needing cleaning
- The extent of dirtiness and staining
- Type of surfaces being cleaned
- Additional service options needed
We’ll explore each of these cost factors in more detail below.
Commercial Pressure Washing Prices Per Square Foot
The most common way commercial pressure washing services estimate costs is using a price per square foot washed. National averages range from $0.10 – $0.40 per square foot.
However, commercial pressure washing prices can vary greatly by region. Prices also differ depending on the type of surface. Here are some examples of average costs:
- Basic Cleaning
- Sidewalks/Driveways/Parking Lots – $0.10 – $0.20 per square foot
- Brick/Stone Facades – $0.15 – $0.25 per square foot
- Painted Wood/Vinyl Siding – $0.18 – $0.35 per square foot
- Stucco Building Facades – $0.20 – $0.30 per square foot
- Metal Surfaces – $0.25+ per square foot
- Intermediate Cleaning
- Oil-Stained Driveways/Parking Lots – $0.25 – $0.40 per square foot
- Gum Removal on Sidewalks – $0.35+ per square foot
- Heavy-Duty Stain Removal
- Rust Stains on Brick Facades – $0.30+ per square foot
- Mold/Mildew Covered Siding – $0.40+ per square foot
- Roof Cleaning – $0.40+ per square foot
As you can see, commercial pressure washing prices per square foot increase for tougher cleaning jobs. The extent of staining and buildup being removed will push costs higher.
Always discuss required cleaning levels with your pressure washing company first so you understand costs.
Pressure Washing Commercial Spaces by the Hour
Some commercial pressure washing contractors charge hourly rates instead of square footage pricing. Hourly costs for commercial services typically range from $120 to $250 per hour.
The advantage of hourly pricing is that you only pay for the exact time it takes to complete the job at your property. There is no guessing square footage measurements.
You can expect commercial pressure washers to clean about 2000-3500 square feet per hour. Using that benchmark, you can compare hourly rates to square foot pricing averages.
Make sure to clarify what is included in an hourly service quote. Most contractors stipulate a minimum service charge regardless of job size. Two or three hour minimum service charges are common.
Additionally, travel fees, equipment fees, after-hours fees, and degreasing solution fees may be separate line items added to your invoice. Clearly understand what is covered in an hourly quote and what additional charges may apply.
Factors That Impact Commercial Pressure Washing Costs
Many variables affect pricing for commercial pressure washing, including:
Size of the Job
The total square footage (or linear footage) needing cleaning is the biggest cost determinant. The larger the job, the more potential for bulk discounts from your contractor. Commercial spaces often exceed 10,000+ square feet around structures and parking areas requiring cleaning.
Also consider ease of access when measuring job size. Pressure washing technicians use long pressure washer hoses for efficiency. Hard-to-reach areas take extra time, increasing service costs. Carefully measure all surfaces needing cleaning rather than guessing sizes.
Type of Surfaces
The type of building materials and surfaces being cleaned also affects costs. Painted wood siding, for example, pressure washes faster than rough concrete. Porous brick is harder to clean than smooth glass storefronts as dirt penetrates deeper.
Be sure to specify all surface materials needing cleaning when requesting pressure wash quotes for accurate pricing.
Quality of Pressure Washing
How deeply do you want the exterior cleaned? Light pressure washing only tackles surface dirt at lower costs. Heavier buildup like oil stains, rust marks, and mold growth requires heavier pressure washing for complete removal.
Discuss expected results with your contractor. Clarify whether a basic cleaning or deep, restorative pressure washing is needed so you budget accordingly.
Consider additional services beyond exterior walls and parking areas that boost your commercial pressure washing bill including:
- Roof Cleaning: Professional roof washing using pressure washers or sodium hypochlorite safely removes black streaking mold and debris. Costs average $0.40+ per square foot.
- Graffiti Removal: Eliminating graffiti requires commercial solvents and intensive pressure washing averaging $250+ per hour.
- Gum Removal: Lifts layers of discarded gum dots off sidewalks and parking lots. Gum removal costs extra at $0.35 per square foot.
Discuss any additional exterior cleaning tasks with your contractor when requesting an all-inclusive pressure washing service quote.
Pressure Washing Services & Estimates
Nationally, commercial pressure washing prices average $0.20 per square foot as a benchmark. However, pressure washing companies determine quotes based on specific job size, surfaces, and cleaning requirements. Costs in your area may differ.
Always get professional estimates before hiring any contractor. Most commercial pressure washing companies offer free, no obligation estimates. Simply contact 2-3 highly reviewed businesses in your region for quotes.
Provide them with specifics:
- Square footage of each surface type needing cleaning
- Current condition/staining of building exterior
- Special problem areas like oil stains or black streaking
- Any additional service options you want performed
With accurate details, contractors can best assess onsite needs for precise quotes versus ballpark guesses.
Comparing a couple fixed-price quotes allows you to budget accurately and choose the best value. Look for licensed and insured commercial pressure washing services using top equipment. Review online ratings and talk with past clients if possible.
Going with the cheapest estimate rather than the right experience can result in damaged property or extra charges later for lackluster cleaning results. Consider expertise, reputation, equipment quality, and warranties – not just bottom line price.
Understanding the cost of commercial pressure washing is a vital step in maintaining and preserving your property. By considering the factors mentioned here, you can make an informed decision about the services you need and their associated costs.
Remember that the prices can vary, so it’s essential to request quotes from reputable pressure washing companies in your area to get a precise estimate for your project. For commercial properties around Dawsonville, Georgia area, contact Sullins Suds Pressure Washing to get a FREE estimate!